Withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan is conditional: US General

WASHINGTON: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley has said that the withdrawal of United States troops from Afghanistan is still conditional.

General Mark Milley said that the withdrawal of more US troops from Afghanistan would depend on a reduction in violence and other conditions agreed with the Taliban in February. “We are trying to end the war with foresight and responsibility,” said Mark Milley.

“We want to end the war on the condition that we guarantee the protection of the important national security interests of the United States at stake in Afghanistan,” he said.

Last week, the United States announced plans to reduce its forces in Afghanistan. US National Security Adviser Robert Brown has announced that the number of US troops in Afghanistan will be reduced to 2,500 by next year.

Read more: Trump wants US troops out of Afghanistan by Christmas

He said 4,000 US troops would remain in Afghanistan by December next year, which would be further reduced. About 2,400 US service members have been killed in the Afghan conflict and many thousands more wounded. Wednesday also marks 19 years since the US invaded Afghanistan to topple the Taliban.

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *