EU urges US to reconsider decision to cut ties with WHO

BRUSSELS: The European Union urged the United States to reconsider its decision to cut ties with the World Health Organisation over its handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
“In the face of this global threat, now is the time for enhanced cooperation and common solutions. Actions that weaken international results must be avoided,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Josep Borrell, the EU’s top diplomat, said in a statement.
“In this context, we urge the US to reconsider its announced decision,” the statement added, a day after President Donald Trump announced the move, accusing the UN health agency of becoming a puppet of China.
German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas also condemned the move and pledged intensive talks with Washington on the issue. The decision is the wrong signal at the wrong time, Maas told German media. He added that with the number of infections continuing to rise globally, “we cannot tear down the dike in the middle of a storm”, he said.

READ MORE: Trump cuts ties with WHO in midst of global pandemic

The EU has led calls for a review of the international response to the coronavirus pandemic including the performance of the global health agency.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who has defended the agency against fierce criticism by Trump, has promised a review of its performance after the pandemic eases.
Trump last month halted funding for the organisation and gave the WHO thirty days to commit to reforms. Speaking at the White House on Friday, Trump said Chinese officials pressured the WHO to “mislead the world”. The move to quit the Geneva-based body comes amid growing tensions between US and China over the coronavirus outbreak.
Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

<