PM to receive forensic report on sugar crisis today

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan will chair a federal cabinet meeting on Thursday to discuss the forensic report on the sugar crisis that will be presented today.
The meeting will be held in Islamabad at 1 pm where a decision regarding making the report public will be taken. An inquiry commission, which was formed for a forensic audit of the sugar scandal, is likely to present its final report in the meeting.
Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Director General Wajid Zia will be presenting the forensic report comprising 200 pages in the cabinet meeting.
The report carries details pertaining to sugar production and its sale record, the sources said, adding that it also revealed the anonymous buyers of the product.
The committee also attached the record regarding permission granted by the federal government for sugar export, besides forensic audit of the decisions taken by the Economic Coordination Committee (ECC).
The report also revealed the elements behind issuing orders for giving subsidy to mill owners.
The committee also found that the Punjab government was providing the subsidy for export of sugar at a time when the price of the commodity was increasing in the domestic market.
Out of 0.762 million tonnes of sugar exported, 0.474 million tonnes (62 percent) were exported before the withdrawal of subsidy, while the remaining 38 percent was exported after the withdrawal.
It was also stated in the report that Rs3 billion were allocated by the Punjab government for the subsidy from January 2019 onwards but Rs2.47 billion were utilised from 1st January to 24th May 2019.

Read more: Global response needed to defeat COVID-19: PM Imran

Download MM News mobile application and keep yourself updated.
Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *