ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office on Tuesday expressed condolences over a deadly blast last week at a fireworks factory in northwestern Turkey.
In a statement, the foreign office conveyed heartfelt condolences to the government and people of Turkey on the loss of lives and injuries to many as a result of an explosion at the fireworks factory in the Sakarya province.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this tragedy and their families. We also pray for the quickest recovery of the injured,” said the statement. “As always we share the pain of our Turkish brothers and sisters and stand by them in this hour of grief.”
The explosion occurred on Friday at the factory in Sakarya province leaving seven people dead and at least 117 injured. The governor of the Turkish province announced two new deaths on Monday and said rescue teams were still searching for one more person.
Earlier the governor said six people were still hospitalised from the explosion, including one person in critical condition. Some 114 people workers been treated and released.
The cause of the blast at the factory, which is away from residential areas, was under investigation. A manager and two supervisors were detained Saturday on.
Television footage showed a large, mushroom-shaped cloud of smoke rising from the factory with bursts of fireworks amid sounds of explosions. Turkish media had reported previous explosions at the same factory.