ISLAMABAD: The federal cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan has decided not to appeal a court verdict that allowed former premier Nawaz Sharif to travel abroad on medical grounds.
Federal Law Minister Farogh Naseem announced it during a press conference in Islamabad, “The cabinet has decided not to file an immediate appeal against a Lahore High Court verdict.”
Read more: Ex-PM Nawaz left 15 days late due to delaying tactics: Ahsan Iqbal
Naseem said that the government lawyers had not agreed to the interim judgment.
He added that the government would press for the submission of surety bonds by the Sharif family when the hearing resumes in January.
Also read: Nawaz’s ‘why was I ousted’ comes towards its end: Fawad
The law minister said that Nawaz Sharif left the country under commitments made to the court by him and his brother Shahbaz Sharif.
Also read: Preparations made to shift Nawaz for London: Shehbaz Sharif
He said that if he Nawaz did not return back to the country, he would become an offender and have to submit surety bonds of Rs7.5 billion, in case he does not return to the country.
Also read: Govt respects decision of the court, says Firdous Awan
Earlier on Tuesday, Nawaz left for London in an air ambulance which arrived at Allama Iqbal International Airport in Lahore from Doha.
On 13th November, the government agreed to allow Nawaz to travel abroad, with the condition that surety bonds amounting to Rs7-7.5 billion should be submitted but the former premier rejected the condition and had taken the matter to the LHC which allowed Nawaz to travel abroad by turning down government conditions.
Also read: LHC allows Nawaz Sharif to travel abroad for treatment