fbpx mmnews

Balochistan rain death toll hits 165

QUETTA: Torrential rains and flash floods continued to wreak havoc in Balochistan as 15 more people lost their lives, taking the death toll from flood and rain-related accidents in the province to 165.

Most rain-related deaths were reported in Bolan, Quetta, Zhob, Dukki, Khuzdar, Kohlu, Kech, Mastung, Harnai, Qila Saifullah, and Sibi, it added.

According to the latest PDMA report, 165 people have lost their lives in rain-related incidents in Balochistan since June 1, while 74 others have been injured during this period.

Further, the authority said that several roads and bridges were washed away by floods.

It said rains had damaged 13,975 houses in the province since June 1, out of which 10,129 were partially damaged and 3,406 were completely destroyed.

On Tuesday, The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) dispatched 1,000 King Salman Relief Fund ration bags for Balochistan flood affectees.

The NDMA Spokesperson in a media release said that King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Centre (KS Relief) provided a thousand ration bags for the flood victims of Balochistan.

The ration bags were handed over Deputy Commissioners of Jafarabad, Naseerabad, Sahbatpur, Sibi and Kutch. The ration consists of flour, pulses, sugar and ghee. It may be noted that its first shipment was sent to Balochistan on July 15, which included 3,000 ration packs.

The heavy monsoon spells have wreaked havoc across Balochistan calming at least 136 people’s lives so far in flood-related incidents.

According to Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) report, around 13,000 homes have also been damaged in the flash floods along with multiple bridges and highways.

Earlier, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif visited the inundation-affected areas of Balochistan and ordered officials to expedite relief work.

The premier also announced a relief package of Rs500,000 for those who lost their house in the floods, while those who suffered due to partial damage to their residence will be awarded Rs200,000 or more per family.

To compensate for the loss of lives, Shehbaz promised each family to receive Rs1 million on account of each flood casualty.

Get the MMnews App now & scroll through your favourite content faster!
Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *