ISLAMABAD: Minister for Information and Broadcasting Fawad Chaudhry has said that complete lockdown will not be allowed in Sindh.
The minister claimed that if the SOPs had been implemented, the situation in Karachi would not have been serious. According to Fawad Chaudhry, the city is the growth of the country’s economy. He said that such a step could not be allowed to affect the country’s economy.
He said that the policy of the federation regarding complete lockdown was clear. He said that the Supreme Court had said that the provinces could not take an individual decision in this regard. The federal minister said that the policy on coronavirus is issued by the NCOC and the provinces are bound to implement this policy.
Chaudhry said that Prime Minister Imran Khan has a clear position on the complete lockdown that affects the working class more. According to the federal minister, PM Khan has given a clear message to the Sindh government that individual decisions cannot be made and that implementation of NCOC guidelines is essential.
A lockdown has been imposed in the province of Sindh from today till August 8 as provincial authorities try to mitigate the spread of the deadly Delta variant of coronavirus. The decision was taken during a meeting of the Sindh government’s Covid-19 task force in Karachi to mull further restrictions in the port city as the highly transmissible Delta variant of the virus fuels the spread of the pandemic.
Earlier in his tweet, the minister said that careful assessment of the Sindh government’s decision to lockdown [Karachi] was underway as Prime Minister Imran Khan had a candid policy against any step which impacted laymen’s livelihood.
“We are carefully reviewing decision of the Sindh government to lockdown. The policy of Prime Minister is very clear. We will oppose any move that would severely affect the economy of a common man,” he said in a tweet.