LAHORE: Former cricketer Misbah-ul-Haq has decided to quit as chief selector of the Pakistan cricket team after serving in the post for over a year.
Addressing a news conference at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, Misbah said that he decided to relinquish the post of the chief selector on personal reasons as it was difficult for him to work on dual responsibilities.
He affirmed to continue serving as the head coach of the men’s team. “I have decided to resign from the role of the chief selector,” said Misbah. “We have ten important tours coming due to which it will be difficult for me to coordinate and focus on domestic cricket and team selections,” he added.
He also refuted rumours that his decision came after his meeting with Prime Minister Imran Khan regarding the revival of domestic cricket in the country. “The resignation has nothing to do with meeting Imran Khan or Chairman PCB. If this was the case, I would have resigned from both the posts,” he added.
“It was decided last year with the PCB after taking the charge that I will leave one post when it will become difficult for me to handle both roles,” he maintained.
Misbah further added that the squads for Zimbabwe and New Zealand series will be announced by him. The new chief selector will begin his tenure on December 1.
He said he will officially serve in his role until November 30 and carry out his selection responsibilities for the home series against Zimbabwe and the tour to New Zealand. Misbah said his aim was to improve the progress of the cricket team in the top three of all formats of the game.
The former skipper was under pressure over his dual responsibilities as teams head coach and chief selector. Misbah was named head coach and chief selector in October last year.
The first assignment of the new chief selector will be to select the squads for the January home series against South Africa, comprising two Tests and three Twenty20 Internationals.
Misbah had communicated his decision to PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan in Islamabad last week during the National T20 Cup. In a statement, Wasim Khan said that the board “wholeheartedly respects Misbah’s decision on stepping away from the chief selector role”.