India’s claim of new sanctions on banned outfits baseless: FO

foreign office

ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office has rejected Indian claims regarding sanctions on banned organizations, saying no new sanctions had been imposed on the individuals and outfits.

The Foreign Office spokesperson in a statement said on August 18, 2020, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs issued two comprehensive notifications regarding the Taliban, al-Qaeda and the IS under the United Nations sanctions.

The lists included individuals and organizations nominated by the UN Security Council for sanctions, the spokesperson added.

He said comprehensive SROs were issued from time to time as per routine. The Indian media’s claim that Pakistan acknowledged their presence in the lists was baseless.

The spokesperson said that individuals or organizations listed in the SROs were already under sanctions and those restrictions were not new.

According to media reports, the government had issued the SRO on Friday, ordering full compliance with the United Nations Security Council sanctions against the Afghan Taliban, the Haqqani Network, Da’esh and al-Qaeda.

A number of laws have recently been passed by the parliament to meet the FATF requirements for Pakistan’s removal from the ‘grey list’ of countries whose financial systems are considered vulnerable to exploitation because of their weaknesses.

Pakistan, which has always denied any links with the Taliban, has in the past said that it is in full compliance with UNSC sanctions against the group.

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *