fbpx mmnews

FM Qureshi expresses sorrow over loss of lives in Beirut

ISLAMABAD: Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has telephoned his Lebanese counterpart Charbel Wehbe extended his condolences with him over the deaths in the blasts that took place in Beirut on August 4.
During the phone call, Qureshi expressed grief and sympathized with the bereaved families, on behalf of the people and government of Pakistan.
FM Qureshi said at the difficult time, the Pakistani nation stood in strong support and solidarity with the brotherly Lebanese people.
Praising the Lebanese people’s resilience, he expressed full confidence that they would grapple with the challenging situation with their characteristic strength.
Foreign Minister Charbel Wehbe expressed his gratitude to the government and the people of Pakistan for their sympathies and solidarity at this difficult time. On this occasion, The two foreign ministers agreed to remain in close contact.
Meanwhile, Pakistan has also donated eight tons of relief assistance comprising medicines and food to Lebanon as a token of solidarity for the victims of blasts. A Pakistan Air Force C-130 carrying supplies has landed in Beirut.
On August 4, two huge explosions near the center of Beirut killed at least 100 people and sending shockwaves across the Lebanese capital.

READ MORE: Death toll from Beirut blasts climbs to at least 100

As per details, Lebanese media carried images of people trapped under rubble, many bloodied, after the massive blasts in the port area, the cause of which was not immediately known. The explosions “caused several injuries”, a security official said.
President Michel Aoun has said that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, used in fertilizers and bombs, had been stored for six years at the port without safety measures.
The head of Lebanon’s Red Cross George Kettani said they are witnessing a huge catastrophe and there are victims and casualties everywhere.
Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *