International Day of Yoga is just four days away, however, many people still confuse yoga with any specific religion or culture but in reality, it is one of the oldest physical disciplines in existence.
Interestingly, Yoga is over 5000 years old and was originally practiced as a form of healing. The word ‘Yoga’ is derived from the Sanskrit root ‘Yuj’, meaning ‘to join’ or ‘to yoke’ or ‘to unite’.
The fundamental purpose of yoga is to promote harmony in the body, mind, and environment. It declares a complete system of physical, mental, social, and spiritual development.
Yoga does not only improves flexibility and strength but also strengthens the core muscles in your stomach and back. Ease stress and anxiety levels, reduce low back pain, and improve sleep.
Here is the list of health benefits that come from a consistent yoga practice:
1) Research has shown that practicing yoga can delay aging.
2) Yoga increases self-confidence.
3) Yoga classes twice each week can help to ease depression.
4) Those suffering from anxiety could benefit from practicing yoga.
5) Yoga can improve the cognitive functioning of patients with schizophrenia.
6) Yoga can help to reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
7) Practicing yoga can help you lose weight.
8) Hot yoga can improve your physical fitness.
9) Yoga can help treat the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
10) One can get a better night’s sleep if you practice yoga.