fbpx mmnews

COAS apprises PM on search operation for missing army chopper

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif in a telephonic conversation with Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa on Tuesday has been informed about the latest information regarding the missing Army Aviation helicopter.

Pak-Army helicopter enroute from Quetta to Karachi went missing on Monday.

The COAS informed the Prime Minister about the ongoing search operations since last night.

The prime minister expressed his concern over the safety of Commander of 12 Corps Lieutenant General Sarfaraz Ali and other six officials and jawans onboard the helicopter.

He termed Lt Gen Sarfraz Ali a thorough professional and an excellent person.

The prime minister said the entire nation was deeply saddened over the incident and prayed for the safe return of the brave sons of the soil.

He said the officers and jawans who provided assistance to the flood victims had emerged as an exemplary example of dedication and service.

He said serving the brothers, sisters and children in the hour of need was the real strength of the Pakistani nation.

On Monday, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) had announced in a tweet that a Pakistan Army aviation chopper enroute from Quetta to Karachi with important personalities aboard has gone missing.

The military’s media wing said that the aviation helicopter was on a flood relief operation in Lasbela, Balochistan when it lost contact with air traffic control (ATC).

“Six individuals were on board, including Commander 12 Corps who was supervising flood relief operations in Balochistan,” the tweet said, adding that a search operation is underway.

Corp Commander Quetta Lieutenant General Sarfaraz Ali, who was supervising the flood relief operations in the province, was also on board.

As per details, Major Syed was piloting the helicopter while Major Talha was the co-pilot of the helicopter. The Director-General of Coast Guards Brigadier Amjad, Engineer Brigadier Khalid, and chief naik Mudassir were also onboard.

Following the incident, the district administration said that a helicopter crashed in the vicinity of the Sassi Punnu Shrine, located near the Windar area, however, the ISPR is yet to confirm whether it was the same helicopter.

Local residents say that the helicopter was seen flying low after which it disappeared. Meanwhile, it was reported that the incident took place minutes before sunset (Maghrib prayers).

Deputy Inspector-General Khuzdar Pervez Imrani said that local police teams are also trying to find the helicopter. The area consists of mountain ranges which are creating difficulties in the search operation.

He further said that despite the difficulties caused by the terrain, police teams are trying to search the helicopter on motorcycles as well. A joint rescue operation of police and Frontier Corps has been underway for the last five hours.

Get the MMnews App now & scroll through your favourite content faster!
Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *