LAHORE: Cricketer Umar Akmal has decided to challenge his three-year ban imposed by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for breaching the Anti-Corruption Code.
The cricketer after receiving a copy of the detailed verdict issued by the PCB has started legal consultation with his lawyers in this regard. Moreover, Chairman of the Independent Disciplinary Panel, Justice (retired) Fazal-e-Miran Chauhan earlier on Thursday submitted a detailed judgment on the corruption case filed against Akmal to the PCB.
According to details, a three-year ban has been imposed for each of the two charges of violating the PCB Anti-Corruption Code, which will be deemed to have come into effect from the date of Umar Akmal’s suspension i.e. 20 February 2020.
The PCB said both periods of disqualification will run concurrently, meaning Akmal will now become eligible to return to cricket activities on 19 February 2023, said the PCB press release.
“Akmal tried to take refuge under the pretext that in the past whenever any such approaches were made, the matter was reported by him, the statement said.” The panel explained that Akmal’s behaviour, especially his lack of cooperation, did not leave room for any mitigation.
In February, Akmal was suspended from the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and charged with two separate violations of the PCB’s code of conduct. The Right-handed batsman has always been in controversies since he joined the national cricket team.
Read more: US accuses China, Russia of coordinating on virus conspiracies
Download MM News mobile application and keep yourself updated.