LONDON: The Prince of Wales is now out of self-isolation and in good health following his diagnosis of coronavirus.
Prince Charles, aged 71, spent seven days self-isolating in Scotland after testing positive and displaying mild symptoms. His wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, was tested and did not have the virus, but will self-isolate until the end of the week.
A Palace official told British media the prince was in good health and was following the government’s restrictions. “Clarence House has confirmed today that, having consulted with his doctor, the Prince of Wales is now out of self-isolation,” a spokesman said.
Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, spent his seven days of quarantine at his Birkhall home on the royal Balmoral estate. He was only displaying mild symptoms last week and it was not known how he caught the virus because of his recent busy schedule of public events.
He had last seen the Queen briefly after an investiture ceremony for public awards at the palace in London on March 12. The 93-year-old monarch has canceled all her engagements for the foreseeable future and has moved to Windsor Castle for the Easter period.
A number of senior British officials have tested positive for the virus including Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the Health Secretary Matt Hancock. The prime minister became the first world leader to announce he had the virus but has continued to lead the country’s response to the pandemic, carrying out meetings over video link while self-isolating in his Downing Street flat.
More than 9,000 people who have tested positive for coronavirus are being treated in hospitals across England. The country has recorded 1,228 deaths from the virus so far and experts have warned that the death rate is expected to increase in the coming days.