Chocolate, the most popular sweet treat in the world, makes you feel good and it may be good for you, too. The word “chocolate” comes from the Aztec word “xocoatl,” which referred to the bitter, spicy drink the Aztecs made from cacao beans.
There are more things that you did not know about chocolate. Read 10 interesting facts about chocolate below:
1) Chocolate scent relaxes brain
The scent of chocolate increases theta brain waves, which triggers relaxation.
2) Chocolate was consumed as a bitter drink originally
For most of its 4,000-year history, Chocolate was actually consumed as a bitter beverage rather than as a sweet edible treat.
3) Chocolate was once used as currency
Liquid chocolate was served as a barter currency for the exchange of food and clothes during the 1900 BC.
4) White Chocolate is not a chocolate
White Chocolate is not technically chocolate, as it contains no cocoa solids or cocoa liquor.
5) Dark chocolate beneficial for heart
Eating dark chocolate every day reduces the risk of heart disease by one-third.
6) Eating dark chocolate cures depression
People who eat dark chocolate are less likely to be depressed.
7) It protects against tooth decay
Chocolate has an anti-bacterial effect on the mouth and protects against tooth decay.
8) Chocolate can melt around 93° F
Chocolate is the only edible substance to melt around 93° F, just below human body temperature. That’s why chocolate melts in your mouth.
9) Chocolate is a better cough suppressant When it Comes to Coughs, Chocolate Is More Effective than Codeine.
10) Scientists can reduce the fat in chocolate by 20%
Scientists can reduce the fat in chocolate by 20% by passing it through an electric field.