No Result
View All Result
Thursday, August 13, 2026
MM News
اردو
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Crime
  • Opinions
  • The Other Side
MM News
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Crime
  • Opinions
  • The Other Side
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
MM News
اردو
  • Latest
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business & Stock
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
Home World

Tsunami alerts issued across Philippines, Indonesia after offshore quake

Reuters by Reuters
June 8, 2026
Reading Time: 2 mins read
earthquake, philippines, indonesia, tsunami

MANILA: Officials issued tsunami warnings after a strong magnitude ‌7.8 earthquake struck off the southern Philippine island of Mindanao on Monday, with no immediate reports of deaths or major damage.

Tsunami warnings were issued in the Philippines, neighbouring Indonesia and by the U.S. Tsunami Warning System, with people in coastal areas warned to move to higher ground.

DZBB radio, broadcasting from ​the Philippine city of General Santos about 15 km (9.3 miles) from the epicentre, reported instances of falling furniture, damage ​to televisions and other appliances as the area experienced aftershocks and people left their homes to ⁠seek safety.

ADVERTISEMENT

The General Santos disaster office said aftershocks were still being felt and authorities were assessing reports of damage and some ​injuries.

In the Philippines’ Sarangani province near the epicentre, power and telecommunications were down and school classes were suspended, said local disaster ​chief Rene Punzalan, adding a damage assessment was underway with no reports yet of any collapsed buildings.

DISASTER RESPONSE UNDERWAY IN PHILIPPINES

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said authorities were moving fast to coordinate disaster response.

“The national government is moving and we will not leave Mindanao behind,” Marcos said in a ​statement.

The Philippines and Indonesia experience hundreds of quakes each year and sit on tectonically complex parts of the “Pacific Ring of Fire”, ​a seismically active belt stretching from South America to the Russian Far East.

Phivolcs, the Philippine agency, warned of damage and tsunami waves above one ‌metre (yard), which ⁠could continue for several hours. Indonesia’s geophysics agency BKMG said waves of 0.19 m (8 inches) had been detected so far.

Benjie Ancheta, police chief of Alabel town in Sarangani, said the police building had some cracks after the quake, which occurred during their flag-raising ceremony, where some people fainted.

“This is the strongest earthquake we’ve experienced,” Ancheta told Reuters by phone.

EVACUATION OF COASTAL AREAS UNDERWAY

The German Research Centre ​for Geosciences said the 7.8 magnitude ​quake struck at a ⁠depth of 10 km (6.2 miles). It had earlier reported a magnitude of 8.2.

The geophysics agencies of the Philippines and Indonesia reported magnitudes of 7.0 and 7.7, respectively.

Witnesses in Indonesia’s northern city of Manado ​and residents and officials in the southern Philippines all said the quake was felt strongly.
A ​spokesperson for Indonesia ⁠disaster mitigation agency said there were no reports of damage so far.

Arlene Hollero, disaster chief of Maasim town in the Philippines’ Sarangani province, said their evacuation was underway in coastal villages and there were no reported casualties so far.

Water receded shortly after the quake, but ⁠the seas ​were normal so far, she said, adding a bridge suffered some cracks and ​a shrine with a huge cross collapsed.

“It’s devastating,” Hollero told Reuters by phone.

Tags: tsunami
ShareTweetSendShare
Previous Post

Iran and Israel exchange strikes as U.S. peace talks face new pressure

Next Post

Govt moves to tighten sales tax enforcement in new fiscal year

Related Stories

World

‘Jantar Mantar Season 2 going to start very soon’: CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke

August 12, 2026
The US military says the attack aimed to restrict supplies and funds for the Iran-backed Houthis (Reuters)
World

Pentagon admits 153 civilians killed in US airstrikes on Yemen

August 12, 2026
World

Sweden simplifies permanent residency applications for temporary residents

August 11, 2026
Top News

Bashar al-Assad handed death sentence after decades of war

August 11, 2026
Next Post
Sales Tax, Pakistan

Govt moves to tighten sales tax enforcement in new fiscal year

Latest

Mir Raza Ali’s business partner gets pre-arrest bail

2 hours ago

Two policemen martyred in Lahore firing

2 hours ago

Rabi-ul-Awwal moon not sighted in Pakistan; Eid Milad-un-Nabi on August 26

3 hours ago

Mir Raza case: Smartwatch undergoes forensic analysis as investigation advances

3 hours ago

Court orders high-level inquiry into HIV infections among children in Sindh

3 hours ago

New fares announced for passenger vehicles in Peshawar

4 hours ago

Woman stabs daughter to death for refusing to make breakfast

5 hours ago

K-Electric announces maintenance shutdown on August 14

5 hours ago

Latest

Mir Raza Ali’s business partner gets pre-arrest bail

2 hours ago

Two policemen martyred in Lahore firing

2 hours ago

Rabi-ul-Awwal moon not sighted in Pakistan; Eid Milad-un-Nabi on August 26

3 hours ago

Mir Raza case: Smartwatch undergoes forensic analysis as investigation advances

3 hours ago

Court orders high-level inquiry into HIV infections among children in Sindh

3 hours ago

New fares announced for passenger vehicles in Peshawar

4 hours ago

MM Digital (Pvt.) Ltd.

MM News is a subsidiary of the MM Group of Companies. It was established in 2019 with the aim of providing people of Pakistan access to unbiased information. Contact Details: 03200201537

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Advertise
  • MM News Urdu
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Top Pages

  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • OP-ED
  • Technology
No Result
View All Result
  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology

© Copyright 2024 MMNews - All Rights Reserved.