Pakistan is observing the 92nd birth anniversary of former prime minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.
He was born on January 5, 1928 in Ratodero near Larkana. The founder of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) was hanged by the military regime on April 4, 1979. The charismatic leader was also known for his oratory and fiery quotes.
Let’s have a look at some of them:
1. “We will eat grass, even go hungry, but we will get one of our own (Atom bomb)…. We have no other choice!”
― Zulfikar Ali Bhutto
2. “The people have realized that Martial Law is not law. A regime not established by law is devoid of the attribute to dispense law. A regime which puts in a bunker the highest law in the land does not have the moral authority to say that nobody is above the law.”
― Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, If I Am Assassinated
Z.A. Bhutto shaking hands with Indira Gandhi. His daughter Benazir can be also seen
3. “They are going to kill me. It doesn’t matter what evidence you or anyone comes up with. They are going to murder me for murder I didn’t commit.”
― Speaking to his daughter Benazir Bhutto, as quoted in her book Daughter of the East (1989)
4. “If the people wanted my head I would bow without demur. If I had lost the confidence or respect of the people I would not want to live. The tragedy of the drama is that the very opposite is true.”
― Letter to his attorney, Yahya Bakhtiar, after his death sentence
5. “We will go back and fight. My country harkens for me, why should I waste my time here?”
― Speech at UN Security Council 1965
(Left to Right: Fazal Elahi Chaudhry, Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rehman, and Zulfikar Ali Bhutto)