Croatia will play Morocco in the World Cup third-place playoff on Saturday.
When: Saturday, Dec. 17, 1800 local (1500 GMT/1000 ET)
Where: Khalifa International Stadium, Al Rayyan
Odds (after 90 minutes)
Croatia win: 11/8
Morocco win: 2/1
* Morocco became the first Arab and African country to reach the World Cup semi-finals before losing 2-0 to France. Coach Walid Regragui also became the first Arab manager to lead a team to the knockout rounds.
* The two sides had met in their opening Group F match and played out a goalless draw.
* Croatia, runners-up in 2018, has played a third-place playoff once before. In 1998 they beat Netherlands 2-1 to finish third in that World Cup.
* Morocco had not conceded a goal from an opposition player at the tournament before their semi-final defeat to defending world champions France.
* The ‘Atlas Lions’ are short on defenders after losing Romain Saiss, Nayef Aguerd and Noussair Mazraoui to injury in their semi-final defeat.
Croatia and Morocco have met only twice before, including in this tournament’s group stage. Their only previous meeting prior to the World Cup was in 1996 in the semi-final of the King Hassan II International Cup. The match ended in a 2-2 draw before Croatia won 7-6 on penalties.