China imposes lockdown in Henan province as new cases emerge
BEIJING: China has imposed a lockdown in the central province of Henan after a local outbreak of COVID-19 has emerged in the country.
Local authorities in Jia county of Henan have imposed travel restrictions since Wednesday after lockdowns in neighboring Hubei province eased. All businesses remained closed with the exception of supermarkets and farmers’ markets.
Non-essential travel remains banned between villages and communities, with anyone coming in and out of villages and residential compounds required to wear a face mask, take a body temperature check and show a health certificate.
Curfew-like measures came into effect on Tuesday, with some 600,000 people told to stay home, the county government’s Weibo account said. Officials have been telling people to stock up on daily necessities and get ready for another lockdown.
The lockdown came after a fresh cluster of coronavirus cases was reported among medical staff at Jia County People’s Hospital, one of whom had been in 14-day quarantine after returning from Wuhan.
There are concerns over the continued spread of coronavirus by asymptomatic carriers in China. The local authorities are trying to convince people that it’s safe to end the lockdowns and return to work.